Looking for something fun and decorative, yet delicious to make for Halloween this year? These scary and sweet Halloween witches’ broom cookies are easy to make, fun to eat, and the perfect dessert treat sure to please everyone!
Scary and Sweet Witches’ Brooms Ingredients
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
10 pretzel rods (the middle to large sized ones…just not the minis)
5 pieces of carmel
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup of peanut butter, chocolate or butterscotch-flavored chips
Scary and Sweet Witches’ Brooms Directions
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Mix brown sugar, butter, water and vanilla in medium bowl. Sift in flour and salt. Shape dough into twenty 1 1/4-inch balls.
2. Place pretzel rods on ungreased cookie sheet. Press ball of dough onto cut end of each pretzel rod. Press dough with fork to resemble “bristles” of broom remembering not to make the cookie too thin.
3. Bake about 12 minutes or just barely browned. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire rack, about 30 minutes.
4. Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place brooms on
waxed paper. Heat caramel and chocolate chips over low heat,
stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth; remove from heat. Spoon melted chocolate over brooms, leaving about 1 inch at top of pretzel handle and bottom halves of cookie bristles uncovered and let chocolate set.
5. Heat butterscotch (or chocolate) chips until melted and smooth. Dip the broom bristles in the melted butterscotch and place back onto the wax paper. Let sit until chocolate is set. Refrigerate if necessary and enjoy.